Tuesday 31 July 2012

I’ve always been aware and sympathetic towards those who work abroad away from their families for months, sometimes years at a time. I do feel sorry for them but remind myself that they are probably in a much better position here in Oman for instance than they might be on their own country; they are able to work and provide more for their families back home. I mean, why else would many come to a country for a (relatively) minimal wage, to work out all day in the blazing heat and sun, to share accommodation with many other workers? This may be a naive and emotional overview of working abroad and I’m sure many other bloggers have touched on the subject.

When we stayed at the Millennium Hotel for Bear’s sailing, we were treated so well. Good customer service goes without saying and I’d expect nothing less. However, one chef just went out of his way that little bit further to pay attention to our children. Pops could not decide what to have so the chef asked if he would like chicken nuggets and fries. OB-viously he did! I guess they ask all the kids this, pretty standard culinary question for a Little Person. Fresh, piping hot, proper chicken breast nuggets arrived…yum.

Later on, the chef came over with two halves of a green apple cut into beautiful swans! I wish I had taken a picture of them… We spoke with him for a while. He is from Myanmar and had been here for over a year. He told us of his children back home who were about the same age as my children. It struck me then that he of course must be missing his children and family and so wanted to pay attention to ours and be around them for a little while.

As I said I’m always aware of this situation for many. But I suppose it’s since my trip to Nepal that I have become a little more mindful, considerate and discerning and people’s such situations strike me deeper now.

A few weeks later we were at the Club catching up with friends and colleagues. One of the lovely waiters who has a face of a baby and a smile and laugh to match came up to us to serve us. So cheery, so happy, so funny! Then he showed us a video on his phone of his son. His 20 month old whom he has only seen once since he was born. He goes home extremely rarely. The next time he gets home, his son will have changed so, so much. Incidentally, his wife rings him three times of an evening as her way of saying ‘good night’. One of many things that in life that the rest of us take for granted.

Then I think of my friends here. It’s on a different level but the emotions are still the same. My friends’ children are in the UK with grandparents whilst the parents work here. It’s breaking their hearts but they know that the girls are having a whale of a time and are much better off in many ways where they are, rather than sat in the house with the maid and the odd playdate. Everyone is counting down to seeing their kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment