Thursday 19 July 2012

A reflective mood today...

Back in April I went on a little trip of my own to Nepal. I wrote about it briefly on my other blog.

I wrote about some new friends I made who, in such a short space of time (9 days) became dear to me. Yogini Chris is off somewhere in Turkey, a country that had always appealed to her and she has finally made it! Guru Bob is back in Cambodia...that's on our list of to-do's so hopefully we'll cross paths again. And Guru Lew is still that busy and generous man, still travelling, testing hearing around Nepal and providing them with medical care and hearing aids. Lew, I will be on one your camps in the future!

Lew showed me the 'real' Kathmandu that I wouldn't have seen with my guide. One of the places he took me to was PA Nepal/Firefly Children's Home. It was a house in downtown Kathmandu, basically a care home for children with parents in prison.
The lady who set it up, Indira, in my opinion is an angel. Or if angel is the wrong word, she is one of those extraordinarily special people who does a good deed without demanding/expecting recognition or praise for it. She has provided a loving home for these children and has ensured that these children have the basics - they are clothed and fed and loved.

So I am writing about them again today, a few months after my visit as Lew has sent me another photo of them.
Look at those faces! A delivery of soft toys!
My heart lifted and broke at the same time. I was so happy to see these gorgeous smiling faces and yet I was sad that I am sitting here writing this, in this privileged lifestyle. My two children are provided for without question; they are fed and clothed and loved as a matter of course, with very few obstacles in their lives. I feel a little sad as they accept these things with little realisation of how lucky they are.

So my realisation at this stage of my life is that part of my role as a mother is to help them understand how lucky and privileged they are to have a life like this but also for them to try and think of ways to give back and help. I think Lew lives by that motto; give it back!

So, if you know me and have had a sort out and would like to give me some kids clothes and footwear and toys (not plastic) let me know. I'm going to box some things up and get it sent.

Those of you who don't know me, click on the link and see ways that you can donate and/or help.

In the hope that I'm not pissing on your happy day, look at this quote and just take a minute to appreciate what you have. It's not meant to depress, just to make you take a minute and make your day just awesome!
http://californiansforacure.blogspot.com/2012/03/life.html

No comments:

Post a Comment