Tuesday 12 February 2013

If you have been following my blog or the one before (Muscat Mitchells) then you will remember that I originally worked in another school in the next district. I was a year 2 teacher to fourteen completely and wonderfully different children...12 nationalities in that class. I had one super, calming assistant (I know...spoilt much!) who I will always adore.

Today I paid them a visit as I found some resources that I still had from last year that they might need (oooops!). Any excuse for a visit I suppose, shame I had to hold on to this item and then forget about it!

They are now in a new building and it is so open, fresh and new. I only spent an hour there but I managed to disrupt the lessons of my old colleagues quite nicely! :-) Don't you just hate these inpromptu yet well-meaning visits?!

I saw my old class....I was so excited! I felt such a part of this school, it was small and intimate and I really felt my place straightaway. And to see those friendly smiles today was lovely. I have to remind myself why I left; I know I made the right decision.

Upon the kids' reactions when I walked in I realised that I left over 7 months ago and that is a long time in a 6-7 year old's life. A couple looked at me with a quizzical look and one or two ignored me. Hmmm.

One of the EAL girls did come up to me with the biggest smile and spoke to me in English. She never said a word in English last year so it was nice to hear her speak, it's funny how it changed how I see her. Communication is such an essential part of life, whether it be vocal, gestured or written. But to have a common language makes it a touch easier! The best reaction was from one boy who looked at me for a good few seconds, squinted a bit, pointed his finger and said 'Let me guess...Miss N..?' 

I will arrange a time and hopefully stay a bit longer next time. I ultimately wanted to see my TA, Miss C. She has now qualified and is teaching year 5. So to see her in action was brilliant. She was in the middle of an art lesson, they were sketching portraits. Anyway, a big hug and she introduced me to a few of the new children. I had taught some of the others whilst I was doing some supply work there. So I had a few casual 'Hey Miss N!'

As we hugged each other goodbye we made a plan to be in touch more as their family is leaving at the end of the summer. What hit me is that she said I was like a sister...we talked a lot last year and got to know each other more than colleagues. Another resolution!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment