Wednesday 6 February 2013

A day off, expat wife style.

1
I always get two days off in the week at the moment. These tend to be filled with planning, cleaning, and mundane stuff really (although I always make time for my weekly Yoga with Randi). But I always have things to do. I can't remember the last time that I actually had nothing to do.

   So yesterday was Pops' sports day. I did the morning school run for the neighbours and had 20 minutes to spare in the car (Pinterest check? Don't mind if I do). So then an hour watching the cutest kids with the huge egg and spoons, the water relay, sack and running races and general 'I love being a mother' moments.

Long story short, I got talking to a couple of Mums, one I had met once before and the other it turns out lives opposite me and has not long moved in. Anyway, children as a common factor always makes meeting new friends easier and the conversation just flowed.

And it continued to flow over a coffee! I can't remember the last time I had a spontaneous coffee date! We talked about everything I used to talk about with the new friends in our first year or so here and it was brought back some very fond memories of carefree mornings with the Domestic Goddess and The Other Mrs. Mitchell.

I even had time to go window shopping! I had some things in mind but as is always the way, I can never see what I'd like. But it was very nice nonetheless...and has actually resulted in a bit of artistic modification to get what I wanted! (details in another post maybe).

I wasn't on the afternoon pick-up duty either and so I was at home looking ahead to the next few weeks art plans, blogging and personal admin.  And tonight, as hubby's away I can go to my Gaelic Football training session!

But ultimately what I realised more today is how calm and uplifted I was with my own children when they came home. Bear told me she thinks I'm too busy and am always rushing around. If I'm not having time for them then some things just aren't worth it. Chores can wait!

So, to new friends and old here in Oman, thank you for crossing my path and making days like these so enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment