Tuesday 18 September 2012

Year 4’s Monet Introduction

This was one of the lessons that I was quite nervous about...it's all well and good getting the children to practise and produce various art techniques, fun activities and creative sessions but teaching them about the great masters just squeezed a little more pressure on my newbie shoulders. 

How-EVER! This was the lesson that gave me the realisation that teaching Art is just so rewarding and as fulfilling as being a regular class teacher. I proved to myself that I do have the interest and certainly the passion for this subject and especially teaching it. I've got to know Monet through the planning of the lesson and I realised I was reading about him in the end for my own pleasure! I just hope the kids take some of my interest with them! So today was the start of their recreation of 'Poppies near Argenteuil'. 

images

When I built up to the announcement that they would be creating their own, they reacted how I expected. And how I wanted them to, actually! It was a unanimous "nooooooo/whaaaaaaat???/Ican'tdothat/tooooohaaaaard" etc. What I wanted to start achieving was a turn-around of their initial negative attitude. And we started to by the end of the session!
IMG_5990
All today was was an introduction to Monet and Impressionism, how Monet and his contemporaries painted...they ended up being able to tell me how to recognise a impressionist piece, well, certainly what they'd look for. We also started our paintings with our background wash. We experimented with building up the colour, and effects 
using the sponges and the paintbrushes.

 IMG_5992 IMG_5994 IMG_5997 IMG_6005  

I've had to take pictures of the kids to make a contact sheet so I can learn their names. I do well in the lesson and then forget a few of them the following week! At least 120 names...could be worse I suppose! And it's only week 2! ************************************************************************************************************** So, week 2 and we’re working on the foreground. I really focussed on them developing and using their observation skills…how far do the field of poppies stretch? do they have stalks? can you see the lady smiling at you? where is she looking? why can you not see her legs or feet? is she really a stick figure? (seriously...) how many people can you see? etc… This was a very interesting exercise…maybe 4 or 5 children thought about the detail from the outset and this was evident in their work.

We laid the finished pieces out and pretended we were walking around a gallery. We talked about each other’s work , encouraging positive words and thoughts. This was a good exercise, I’ll do this again.

They all enjoyed it and were interested to learn more about Monet. When they learned of his eye operation and the fact that he painted with poor vision for a while, two of the girls took their glasses off (much to my panic!) to see how it would go. One girl loved it! She is probably the artist of the class so I think she enjoyed painting like one of the Masters!

Monet 002 Monet 005 Monet 007 Monet 028 Monet 029 Monet 031 Monet 033 Monet 036
   

No comments:

Post a Comment