Monday 3 September 2012

First DAAAAY!!

Well, it was Year 4's lucky day today! They were my first lessons.

Seeing as it's just a half week and it's the first few days back I thought we'd go for something wacky so I did the Crazy Hair lesson from Mrs. Brown's Art


I was incredibly nervous and felt like I was back on my first day. I think part of the problem was knowing that the class teacher would most likely be in the room during the lesson. BUT I reminded myself how excited I am about Art and teaching and aim to bring that across. As long as I stay calm and structured just like I was as a class teacher then I should be fine. Affirmation, affirmation, affirmation....!!!

Bear had a good point (she's always good to talk to, she offers great, simple and unobscured advice!):

Me: I'm a little nervous
Bear: Did you teach Art lessons to your old class in your old school as well as the other subjects?
Me: Yes, I did
Bear: It's just like that but all the time!

How perceptive! I must remember this!

I had the first Year 4 class. I made sure we had a sit-down chat about rules in Art as well as the classroom. I spoke to the new children and hopefully made them feel a bit more at ease by letting them know I was new to the school as well.

(As an aside...does the 'No Smiling before Christmas' rule apply to Art teachers? What do you think?)

I gave them the choice of paint and/oil pastels for their Crazy Hairs. Both worked well, but the pastels lost the pattern definition as they were quite thick to work with. So I decided to just use the paints with the second Year 4 and this worked much better...at least for the first lessons! Also, only a few children managed to get around to outline the patterns with felt tip pen. It did look good!

I wanted to get them on display for a week or so before the big project work starts. Any art teachers reading...what are your thoughts on displaying unfinished work?

I completely forgot to take in my camera so can't show pics of work in progress. I will take a few before I put them up.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing some pictures! Make sure you keep updating via Facebook

    ReplyDelete