Thursday 14 June 2012

James Rizzi

I am LOVING the prospect of being an art teacher. I am starting to discover some great art and art teaching blogs and sites.

One I was recommended for my Art and Crafts after-school club was Deep Space Sparkle. From here, so far, we have emulated Eric Carle and my neeeeeew favourite, James Rizzi who sadly died last year.
(from the Guardian)
The Heart of The Big Apple 2008
Take the A Train to Harlem 1989
It was so successful that I'm going to do it again in my own class as an end of term activity. I had super fun prepping the paints, mixing the colours and getting the right watery consistency. And it was just as much fun watching the children design their piece, figure out how thick to draw the lines (pretty thick!) and shout out "Miss! The paint doesn't like the oil pastel! It's falling off!" A science lesson too!












This 9 year old girl has a clear talent for art. I wonder...I hope...
I have some very big shoes to fill in my new school...the previous two art teachers were fabulous; the corridors were always alive with colour and texture...things I've strived for in my current class. But maybe it's becasue I have been a class teacher and my attentions need to be divided in so many ways. I can't just focus on one thing - whereas I will be able to from September. Insha'Allah, as they say here.

Does anyone have any tips for newbie art teachers setting out?

No comments:

Post a Comment