Monday 11 June 2012

Hello...?

The first post of my new blog...

My old blog was losing its way. Sorry - I was losing my way with my old blog. It was too broad, it could have been about anything and I felt I had lost direction. I was new to it, I don't think I blogged often enough maybe or on anything that could have been remotely interesting. I was trying to keep in touch with family back home but facebook does that for me. One tip I heard was to write about something you enjoy, something you are passionate about. So I've narrowed it down to three topics. Three and a bit maybe. Call it four then.

Family. I'm in this beautiful country thanks to my husband and his job, so that my family can all be together.

I have two children in primary school who inspire me yet ground me at the same time. They also infuriate me. Family life here is a big thing so will form a great deal of the blog. Bear, 8 years old going on 18, is becoming a diva. She wants to be an author. Last year it was Marine Palaeontology. Pops, 6 years old and thankfully acting that way. Mad on football and rugby and Lego. He wants to be a football player.

Me - meteorologist and teacher are my trades. I'm currently working full time as a primary school teacher and am about to embark on a new role as an art teacher. I'm a scientist but also love art...artistic scientist or scientific artist. Depends what day you catch me on I guess!

And the man that brought us here, BH (Bored Househusband). He works hard. Or hardly works. Again, depends what day you catch him on!

Friendship. Expat life is so transient. I've said goodbye to some very dear friends over the last three years. You know they are dear when you remain in contact with them once they have left. I have an amazing circle of friends here just now, all from different backgrounds, with different jobs and outlooks on life. Some friends on the periphery (as they call it!) but still they are closer friends to me than they think. We've had a busy and extremely social year, very full on, happy and fun. And this will feature a lot too I hope! I'm missing brilliant friends in the UK too.

Art. I'm about to become an art teacher. Life comes and goes in a funny way. When I was younger, say early teens, I loved my art class. I loved sketching. I remember when my family went to some friends for the evening and I took my sketchbook to keep me occupied. I was asked by the father of the family we went to see, what my favourite subject was at school and I told him that it was art. But then I was encouraged by the parents to focus on more academic subjects. I suppose I resented it then but getting to University to study Maths and geography stood me in good stead for my working life. Oh, ok…thanks Mum and Dad… J But now, I’m pleased that I can be doing something that I enjoy and that helps me get that creative release. Not sure how it may be teaching art to children! Plenty of paint flying around! Anyway, I will hopefully post about projects we are doing; there are some great art blogs out there, really inspiring.

Life as an expat wife....We’ve been here since 2009…we originally thought 2-4 years but 3 have just passed in a flash and there are still places we want to see and things we want to do. I still haven’t found a geode in the Empty Quarter. I still haven’t been to the Empty Quarter so that may have something to do with it! And yes, going for pedicures features high on the list of expat wives. And when I start my new job I intend to go for pampering more often!

...and teacher. I said I would never become a teacher. Ever. But having my own kids seemed to redirect my attitude. I love the teaching. I love being in the classroom. I am really interested in the science (and possibly the art?) of teaching and am always interested in developments, studies and changes in pedagogy. On that note, not entirely sure what's going on with OfSTED at the moment...I think the British educational system is losing it's direction too. So a few notes might be posted if there is anything in the educational world that's gets my back up or inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment