Tuesday 2 April 2013

This Month's Artist - April

Another artist that Mad Murphy has brought to my attention is Dick Frizzell, another pop artist.

He's from Hawke's Bay, New Zealand. He brings in to his work icons from Kiwi kitsch. He's described as not just a pop artist but an artist in expressionist pop. This is something I'll be reading up on as I thought the two movements were very different to each other...how has he been described as the two together...? Mass consumerism of expression and emotion?

imagesCABSVODO
imagesCAQ46BIT
yellow


I always seem to be drawn to pop art yet not sure if I would ever have any on display in my home (maybe the Mickey to Tiki in the middle!) Yet when I paint or draw it’s never in any realist or impressionistic style, it’s always colour, full of pattern, abstract maybe (just read a definition of abstract art: free-hand jazz!). I think Rothko, Klimt and Kadinsky are my inspirations as far as abstract is concerned. I turn to Kahlo for colour. Richard Todd is another artist I like the look of. Maybe he'll feature soon in the monthly artist section.

No comments:

Post a Comment