Wednesday 10 April 2013

My Curse

Migraines have been ruling my life again this last week. I had one on holiday and then exactly a week later they came flooding back. I had 9 auras in 3 days and one persistent headache. I have no idea why they've come on but it is flooring me. I've come to the conclusion they are hormonal as I have no other clue as to trigger factors. I was drinking coffee for months until recently (enough time has passed for it to be out of my system so withdrawal isn't a factor I think).

I think possibly it could be a build-up of toxins that eventually overwhelm my system and then come out as migraine.

But what I am struggling with is the aura. These days I feel I can handle the headache and get on with life but when I cannot see, when I hallucinate, or when things appear closer or larger than they are, life just has to stop.

I actually felt the lowest I have in some time. I had to pull over on the highway before I got to the appointment I was heading to because I became so overwhelmed with a horrible feeling of depression. I found myself wanting to just disappear...I couldn't even cope with conversations with family members or managing daily tasks and basics.

I managed to get to my facial appointment on Sunday with lovely Ann. I did however, had an aura when I got to the car park. Stress perhaps? Luckily I was early so I sat it out in the car. But then I had to go on eventually up to Tips and Toes in sunglasses and explain. She understood straight away and saw that I had been crying. She explained after that she has this type of migraine too and shared how she deals with it. I will definitely go back to her each month. She made me feel a lot better and maybe that's what I need each month.

On leaving I thought that had to be it. But no another one...sat in the car....thought I was ok...another one as I drive off. Hubby had to come and rescue me. That's what brought me down again, the lack of ability to function properly. They seemed to escalate and eventually stop.

So now they seem to have stopped (none for 48 hours) I am embarking on an action plan:

* neurologist at my local hospital has prescribed me Topomax and Imigran. Was kinda hoping he'd help me figure out why I'm getting them. Didn't have a great deal of faith in him especially when he smirked and shook his head at me when I asked what Topomax would do...!
* headache centre at Muscat Private
* kinesiology
* homeopathy
* failing all the above, I've asked my husband to shoot me.

No comments:

Post a Comment